Thursday, July 25, 2013

Coconut and Almond Crusted Cod


Many people I know have strong feelings, either positive or negative, about seafood. Some, like my fiance and I absolutely love it, while others seem to loath the "fishy" taste. First and foremost, not all seafood you can purchase in the stores is created equal. Wild caught fresh fish is going to be the best quality, but you're going to pay a bit more for it. On the other hand, farm raised frozen fish is likely to taste more fishy and dirty. We found a happy medium by purchasing wild caught frozen cod filets and Sam's Club. It's reasonably priced but taste fresh and clean. When I buy fish, I want the only ingredients to be fish, not some hunk of meat loaded with minerals and preservatives! Additionally, the type of fish you buy is obviously going to change the flavor and texture a lot too. We all know that salmon, tuna, cod and tilapia are all vastly different flavors and textures. So, the moral of the story, try a few different cooking methods and different types of fish, maybe you'll find something you like!

This recipe is one of my personal favorite ways to cook white fish. The fish is great by itself because it has a hearty texture, and is wonderfully flakey when you cut into it. Putting a tasty crust on the outside creates depth to the textures by adding a sweet crunch. The almond meal and coconut flakes are both high fat content ingredients so I normally use them sparingly. In combination with a really lean white fish, they add variety to your caloric intake and diversify the fuel for your body!

Ingredients:
Three cod filets
One egg
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup coconut flakes (I indulged and used sweetened because that's what I had on hand, but unsweetened would work too!)
1 Tbsp. coconut oil

Directions:
Mix coconut flakes and almond meal together on a plate. Whisk whole egg in a bowl. Warm coconut oil in non-stick skillet on medium heat. Dip each filet in egg wash then roll in dry mix.
When oil sizzles, gently lay the filets in the pan. Cook for about 5-7 per side, but watch for burning!
You'll want to cook on low/medium heat to create a nice crust but low enough to cook fish thoroughly.



*Funny personal trick: I have an electric stove so I have a hard time knowing when my oil is hot enough to create a brown crust. My super fancy and classy way of testing the heat of my pan is to lick my finger and flick toward the pan.  If that little speck sizzles, then you're good to go! You could obviously use a drop of water too, but that would mean I'd have to turn around, turn the sink on, and get to the pan before my finger dried. I promise I only do this when I'm cooking for my own household. I thought I'd share, for the sake of a giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment